Sunday, July 20, 2008

Important Dates

Today is July 20, 2008 and this has become a wonderful day for our family. For most of you who read these blogs, July 20, 1969 was when man landed on the moon for the first time. I watched it happen on black and white TV while living in Buffalo Wyoming. Today, Trevor and Ellen welcomed their first child into the world and our ninth grandchild. We are so excited for them. To be on the sidelines and watch our children and their spouses invoke the miracle of childbirth is really a humbling experience. I mean when these kids were little and running around with droopy diapers, and taking up all your time I couldn't see that they would grow up to be such wonderful men and a beautiful woman. I love each of our daughters' in law and our son in law.

Other important dates for me: August 15, 1938 was when my parents, Edwin Vance Newcomer and Wilma Adele Donaldson were married at a ranch house in Banner, Wyoming. Of course my birthdate of September 14, 1952 is important to me. March 23, 1953 is the birth date of my sweetheart wife. April 18, 1972 was when I received my endowment in the Provo Temple. June 10, 1972 was when I reported to the Mission Home in Salt Lake City. May 20, 1975 was the date that Debbie and I were sealed together in the Idaho Falls Temple. December 19, 1975 was when Trevor Lane Newcomer was born. He was quickly followed by Samuel John Newcomer on March 2, 1977. A short time later Ryan Jay Newcomer came into the world on a hot August day, the 23rd in 1978. Randall Fredrick Newcomer joined the crew on February 26, 1980. January 20, 1981 was the date that Ronald Reagan became the President of the United States. He helped turn our country from misery to prosperity by promoting less government, reduced taxes, strengthening our military and letting people govern their own lives. This is a recipe that will always strengthen our country.

Lacey Renee Newcomer Costner was born on a cloudy day in Illinois, the 25th of October in 1984. Derrick Douglas Newcomer became the caboose of the Fred and Debbie train when we arrived on October 15, 1987.

Since then life has moved on and as our children got married and have had children I find it hard to remember extra birthdates, and anniversaries. It's not that I don't think you are important, but those are dates that you are responsible for to help me remember.

I've been blessed beyond measure and I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who tutors and counsels and humbles me on a regular basis. But the arrival of little one's make these days really special.

Thanks to all: Trevor and Ellen and Railey; Sam and Cathy; Ryan, Ellissa, Reese, Loli, Ellie and Sherman; Randy, Rebecca, Kaylee, Dallin, Ephraim, Eva and the other one; Lacey, Ryan and Hailey; and Derrick.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

Dad, I thought it was classic when I called you today to announce the birth of Rayley (we still haven't received the birth certificate, so maybe we should change the spelling, Railey seems more natural, eh?)and you immediately asked "Do know what happened 39 years ago today? That was the day men first landed on the moon." Dad, you always tried to teach us about significant events that happened on whatever day we happened to be on. That, plus being taught all sorts of history while we drove across the country. I always thought you were kind of strange that way. Then I took a trip with Grandpa Ed and Grandma Wilma, and Grandpa stopped at every historical marker between Laramie and Worland, and it dawned on me where your fascination with dates and events came from. Thanks for the memories Pops.

meghan said...

Hey Brother sand Sister Newcomer-
This is Meghan (Mclaughlin) Gillespie. (Jeans old friend) Congrats on the new grandchild. I hope you guys are doing well. I saw pictures of you all at Jean'w wedding and then found your blog so i thought i would say hi. I also have a blog. If you are interested it is www.paranoidmommy.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

What a great post. Your kids sure have had cute kids! (I am a little partial though.) We are so glad you could come and visit us and hopefully we will somehow get out there for the baby blessings. But now with two houses to fix up...I don't know.

(And let's not forget Hollis. Lucky grandkid number 5!)

Lacey.costner said...

Dad, thanks for the sweet post. I am so amazed you can remember all those dates, I don't even think I remember the date I got my endownments...goodness...and your gettin' old!!! Just kidding, Dad you are such an awesome father and fun grandpa!! We love you and Hailey can't wait to spend more time with you next week!!

Dbone's blogger said...

Hey Dad thanks for that awesome post i'm glad you can remember dates like that. I can remember dates like that too