Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our Anniversary

It was 33 years ago that Debra Kay Sprague became Debra Sprague Newcomer when we were sealed in the Idaho Falls Temple. In attendance at our sealing were: Ed and Wilma Newcomer, Corlet and Jack Thornton, Thelma Sprague, Vera Sessions, Chuck and Cheryl Cozzens, Brother and Sister Laurence Pearson, Beth and Kim Cazier, Kevin Tonkavich, Larry Seawright, and Golden and Ina Snell. Since that day, we have graduated from BYU, lived in five states, raised six children, attended the temple weddings of five our children, met and enjoyed the friendships of hundred of people who still live in some of those states.

But most of all, I have been priveleged to live with a wonderful women who strives for perfection in all that she does, who counsels me with the fervor of a dear friend, enjoys my company, feels guilty when she hears someone talk about what we should be doing and acknowledges her own weaknesses. I couldn't have found a better person to spend eternity with. She is the love of my life, and though we haven't had a perfect marriage, we have learned to say I'm sorry and forgive one another. It is a miracle how we came together and some would say it is a miracle that we have stayed together. But stay together we have and I would change very few things about the life's experiences we have shared. I owe it to her, for I am a better person than I was. She has helped knock off the many rough spots that I have had.

To all who read this, be assured that a marriage for all time and eternity doesn't mean that everything will be easy, it means that people don't bail out because life becomes a challenge. The most important attribute in marriage is the willingness to help each other, to forget the small indescretions, and forgive each other as often as possible. In 1970 a movie called "Love Story" came out. At the end, the quote, "Love means you never have to say your sorry" set a poor standard for many couples of that era. In my experience, true love means you say you're sorry for a bad attitude, poor choice of words, or making a wrong choices.

For my wife Debbie, I love you more than anytime in my life, for my children: Trevor and Ellen, Sam and Cathy, Ryan and Elissa, Randy and Rebecca, Lacey and Ryan, and Derrick; your mom is the greatest mom in the world and I wouldn't trade her or you for anyone else in this world.

Love,
Dad

4 comments:

Dbone's blogger said...

Dad that was really nice of you to write i actually teared up a bit anyways i dont think i couldnt have asked for a better mom and dad i mean you guys have done so much for all of us kids and i just want to say thank you and hopefully you guys will attend a 6th temple wedding in the future dont know who that will be yet

Rebecca said...

Yay, you have a blog! Good thing we all have Derrick to keep us in the loop! Hope your anniversary was wonderfeul!

Lacey.costner said...

Yay dad!! You are so great daddy!! I love you so much and I'm so glad you and mom have stuck by each other all these years!!

Trevor said...

Pops,
You have never shied away from telling us how much you love us. I have always been grateful for that. Thanks for playing catch, taking me to the Order of the Arrow campout, Messiah practice in Kennewick, "educational" drives across the American prairie, and of always willing to listen to me after my dates and social foibles as a teenager.