Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Tribute

In the Newcomer family, we have had warriors who have served their country. Fortunately, I don't know of anyone who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country. I'll start with my great grandfather, Frederick Fectic Newcomer who served as a drummer boy in the Civil War. He stayed with the Army after the war and came out west with the calvary. He was stationed at Fort Phil Kearney and in December of 1866 was dispatched to go to Fort Bridger to get supplies for the garrison. On December 21, 1866 was the famous Fetterman Massacre when 79 soldiers were led by decoy over the top of Trail Lodge Hill (Sheridan County Wyoming) and ran ito 2000 Sioux and Cheyenne indians. The massacre was devastating, but FF Newcomer was doing his assignment and didn't get a scratch. After he retired from the army he married Mary Frances Maguire from Missouri and ended up on prairie dog creek in Sheridan County. He was a stone mason and probably helped build the Fetterman Massacre Memorial that sits on top of the ridge where the massacre happened.

My Uncle Earl Newcomer (my dad's brother) served in the Army during WWII and didn't get harmed. My cousin, Bruce Brock was a paratroope during the 1950's but didn't have to serve in any action.

My brother, Ted, flew RF-4 jets during the Viet Nam War. He received the silver cross for photographing a heretofore unknown SAM site, avoiding enemy fire and returning to the base with the pictures.

I was elegible for the draft during the late '60's and early '70's but my lottery number was too high. I wanted to serve in the Air Force and I applied for an Air Force ROTC scholarship in my senior year of high school. However, my eyes were too bad and they kicked me out.

I truly honor all those men and women who have willingly served their country, and owe a deep debt of gratitude to those who paid with their lives. I hope that my children and grandchildren understand that the freedoms and liberty that we enjoy were paid for by the blood and sacrifice of millions of people. We need to honor them and their families for their sacrifice.

I think it is a travesty that politicians and actors decry the efforts of our current military and are doing things that in previous years would be considered treasonous.

May God bless our country and freedom loving people everywhere.

3 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

DAd I have always loved the fact that you are so proud to be an american! You always take a moment to remember those who have paid a price for our freedom and I'm so grateful that you established that mind set in our home. What do you know?? We did get something from the newcomer side....drumming...I love you dad and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!

Jeanie Doll said...

USA! USA! USA! Hey Brother Newcomer, it's your adopted daughter! Drop by my blog anytime. :)

Trevor said...

Dad, I didn't realize you even had a blog until today. You are a connection to the generation of people who were proud to be American, and didn't wonder what the rest of the world thought about us, but just wanted to make sure we were safe and leading the world in freedom and prosperity.