Friday, March 6, 2009

Brotherhood Found

I had an interesting experience this past Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Deb and I went to visit Ted and Lora at their house in Ft. Collins, Co. Before we went to bed on Sunday night, I asked Ted if he wanted to walk with me in the morning. He said he did. What happened over the next three mornings is what I want to blog about.

Ted and I have only been close the past 3 years since we moved to Evanston and I could visit them on occasion. He is 13 years older than me and though we were close when I was alot younger, he left in 1957 after high school, got married in 1959 and we have never lived close to each other since then.

We started walking on Monday morning, and what was unusual for two men who rarely carry on a conversation with anyone, was that we talked. We shared thoughts, memories, concerns, and some of our own fears. We walked for an hour on Monday and Wednesday and for two hours on Tuesday. It became evident to me that Ted needed someone to talk to. And conversely, I needed someone to talk to. We shared memories of our parents, and what good people they are, of growing up in a home where we could be creative, where we had good meals and could listen to our sisters' conversations. We gained a greater appreciation for each other, and for the first time in my life, someone who shared personal concerns with me because he felt close to me.

I've never had friends with whom I could talk to like this. I felt like what I said mattered, and what he said mattered. We both shared similar teenage years without knowing it. I was kind of shy and felt like I wasn't important. Ted said he felt the same way. We both have trouble speaking with people but we are not afraid to speak in front of people.

It was a great feeling to have someone for whom I've had a great respect want to talk to me and with me. I've only had two or three occasions where I felt I could let my guard down and feel safe. It was a privilege to be with him and walk and talk. Maybe there will be a way that Deb and I can live even closer to Ted and Lora. I'm so greatful to have brother.

2 comments:

Lacey.costner said...

I'm so happy you such a great experience with Uncle TEd, I hope you can continue to grow closer to him! I love you DAd!

Rebecca said...

aw. That was really sweet.